TORCH Support Specialist
July 15, 2019
20-30 hours per week, all during the traditional school day
Now in its 26th year, the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative (HCI) is a community-based organization whose mission is to cultivate a collaborative community that supports, values and empowers youth. HCI works with community partners to identify needs/opportunities, foster collaboration and support community-driven efforts that benefit local youth and families. By offering its assistance, HCI strives to build the capacity of the community to more effectively serve its young people.
One of HCI’s flagship initiatives, Tackling Obstacles and Raising College Hopes (TORCH) works to increase the high school graduation and postsecondary attendance/completion rates of Northfield youth who are low-income, students of color, and/or potential first-generation college attendees. Completing its 14th year, the program works with more than 400 youth in grades 6-12, plus 125+ alumni.
HCI seeks an individual to provide support to TORCH youth at the Northfield High School.
- Provide one-on-one and small group academic support to TORCH high school students
- Build and foster strong relationships with students in grades 9-12 who are identified as needing additional supports to finish school
- Assist students with the completion of paperwork necessary to successfully enroll in postsecondary programs, register for workforce development programs, and complete financial aid applications
- Meet regularly with the TORCH team to review data and identify youth to serve; track student progress; determine which interventions to connect to individual students or groups of students
- Provide attendance and behavior coaching for students targeted for needing assistance as determined through the multi-tiered system of support (MTSS) approach; promote positive behavior expectations
- Maintain program records, complete ongoing youth assessments and track data in CitySpan system
- Support postsecondary preparation efforts for TORCH students, including leading ACT preparation classes and assisting students with applications and scholarships
- Assist with securing summer enrichment opportunities for students
- 2-5 years of related experience supporting high school youth
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel) and Google Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with high school students and staff
- Highly organized with superior attention to detail
- Excellent ability to multi-task and troubleshoot issues
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as a member of a team
- Capable of completing work on time in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive attitude
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Willingness to maintain the standards, carry out the purpose, and adhere to the policies of the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative
- Maintenance of a cell phone is an expectation of employment
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three professional references to Sandy Malecha, HCI Senior Director, email@example.com. Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Seeking candidates who are able to begin work by September 2019.