Northfield’s PRIMEtime Collaborative is being recognized by the National League of Cities (NLC) as a model program demonstrating innovative and collaborative approaches within government.
PRIMEtime is one of 27 municipal programs selected for the 2012 City Showcase—NLC’s premiere program celebrating city achievements.
PRIMEtime is a network of local after school and summer programs that provide free, enriching out-of-school-time opportunities to over 1,000 Northfield youth each year. PRIMEtime has been recognized for building strong, intentional collaboration between schools, nonprofits, government, and other youth-serving partners and for seeing demonstrated results. More than 90% of youth participating regularly in PRIMEtime programs saw improved academic school performance last year.
PRIMEtime will be highlighted during this year’s Congress of Cities and Exposition, held in Boston, MA, November 28-December 1. During the conference, representatives from Northfield will engage in networking and knowledge-sharing with colleagues from around the country.
“The City Showcase is truly a celebration of innovation and collaboration in our nation’s cities and towns,” said Ted Ellis, NLC President and mayor of Bluffton, IN. “These programs represent municipal government at its best, demonstrating the success that can occur when creative minds partner to solve a problem or fill a need within a community. NLC is proud to recognize the 21 cities and towns selected for this year’s showcase.”
Together the programs selected encompass a wide range of geographical locations, city sizes and topic areas. Selected cities and projects include:
- Ann Arbor, MI: Ann Arbor Sustainability Framework
- Arlington, MA: Hoarding Response Team
- Cathedral City, CA: Cathedral City Energy Action Plan
- Danvers, MA: Project Sunshine
- Delray Beach, FL: Community Solutions Action Plan
- Flagstaff, AZ: City of Flagstaff Resiliency and Preparedness Initiative
- Glastonbury, CT: Purple Heart Homes
- Hillsboro, OR: Hillsboro Electric Vehicle Program
- Kansas City, MO: Enterprise Sustainability Platform
- Kansas City, MO: Middle Blue River Basin Green Solutions Pilot Project
- Lexington, SC: Town of Lexington Vision Plan
- Lowell, MA: Neighborhood Impact Initiative
- Moore, OK: Recycle Moore
- Nashville, TN: Limitless Libraries
- Newark, NJ: Let’s Move! Newark
- New Brighton, MN: Read to Play
- Northfield, MN: PRIMEtime Out-of-School-Time Collaborative
- Perris, CA: Enchanted Heights Sewer System
- Savannah, GA: Step Up Savannah
- Sudbury, MA: Regional Housing Services Office (also Towns of Acton, Bedford, Concord, Lexington, Weston)
- Urbandale, IA: Making a Connection
For more information on this year’s City Showcase, visit: http://www.nlc.org/build-skills-and-networks/resources/city-showcase
The National League of Cities is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.