If you are interested in one or both of these positions, please email a cover letter and resume to Zach Pruitt (email@example.com). Application review is underway so apply TODAY!
The Northfield AmeriCorps positions work collaboratively to help support the Northfield Promise initiative, a collective impact effort striving to ensure all Northfield youth are supported from cradle to career.
AmeriCorps Promise Fellows (2 positions) — Greenvale Park Community School & Arcadia Charter School
Promise Fellows provide resources to increase high school graduation rates at schools across Minnesota. Each Promise Fellow works with a site supervisor, data coach, and a youth success team (comprised of supervisors, school social workers, and other school personnel) to analyze data, make referrals, identify youth who need support, and connect the youth to resources and programs that will engage them in school and learning. This role ensures that youth receive access to caring adults, academic support, and service learning both in school and out-of-school settings. The goal of the Fellow’s service is to improve attendance, behavior, and core academic skills of the identified youth.
Promise Fellows will support and deliver a variety of activities to support students. These activities include:
- Coordinate and deliver in and out-of-school-time academic enrichment activities with the goal that at least 30 youth will experience academic gains.
- Meet regularly with the Youth Success Team to review data and identify youth to serve; track student progress; and determine which interventions to connect to individual students or groups of students.
- Develop and organize projects that engage youth participants in at least 20 hours of civic engagement and service-learning activities during the year as an additional strategy to improve academic success.
- Lead civic engagement activities with youth, including reflection components.
- Recruit and/or support community volunteers, including family members, to work with youth participants in areas such as mentoring, tutoring, civic engagement, and college/career exploration.
- Provide attendance and behavior coaching for students targeted for needing assistance as determined through the multi-tiered system of support approach; promote positive behavior expectations.
- Maintain program records, complete ongoing youth assessments and submit weekly and monthly reports using an online database system with support from site supervisor and site coordinator.
- Assist with planning and implementation of after school and summer enrichment programming for low-income and at-risk youth
- Lead and support post-secondary preparation efforts for TORCH students, including leading ACT preparation classes and assisting students with applications and scholarship requests.
- Participate in all required Minnesota Alliance With Youth, AmeriCorps, and Host Site meetings and assignments.
- Support teachers and other school and community members to determine the best local dropout prevention strategies, including how community volunteers will help address the needs of the targeted youth.
- Organize field trips and other special events to make learning and being at school more engaging and relevant to youth who are disengaged and at risk of dropping out.
- Participate in “Northfield Promise: Cradle to Career” collective impact initiative
- Assist with identifying and securing summer enrichment opportunities for all participating students
- Must be 18 years old*
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. National or have status as a Lawful Permanent Resident Alien.
Please note that final candidates will be required to successfully pass a background check before being officially enrolled by the Minnesota Alliance With Youth.
As a full-time AmeriCorps member, Promise Fellows serve 1720 hours (minimum) from September 1st to July 31st and receive: Modest Living Allowance (approximately $550 twice per month pre-tax); Health Insurance; Qualified Student Loan Deferment; $5,645 Education Award upon successful completion of service; Ongoing, extensive support and training.